Singer, songwriter and producer R. Kelly is being accused of running a cult and holding women against their will. Buzzfeed published a story today alleging that three former associates of Kelly vouched for its validity and included statements of family of one of the women in question. The fifty-year-old R&B superstar is no stranger to allegations of sexual misconduct, but one must wonder about the coincidental timing of this story breaking since he has several upcoming concerts.
What We Know About “The Pied Piper”
- He had a secret illegal wedding ceremony to the late singer Aaliyah in August 1994 when she was 15 years old that was subsequently annulled in February 1995 (Both parties denied the marriage ever occurred and that their relationship was anything other than professional)
- Kelly settled a lawsuit for $250,000 in 1998 when Tiffany Hawkins accused him of having a sexual relationship with her when he was 24 and she was 15 years old.
- February 2002 a video appeared allegedly showing him engaged in sexual activity, including urination, with an underage girl.
- June 2002, he was indicted on 21 counts of child pornography in Chicago
- January 2003, he was arrested due to images from a digital camera found in his Florida home, but the charges were dropped March 2004 due to insufficient probable cause used to obtain the search warrants
- June 2008 Kelly was found not guilty on 14 counts of child pornography
As far as today’s allegations it appears the women in question are of legal age to have consensual sexual relationships with the “Trapped in the Closet” star. One family member only willing to be identified as J. was told by police that her daughter is not considered a missing person and that since they are receiving communication from her occasionally there isn’t anything they can do. Kelly’s attorney vehemently denies his client is guilty of the accusations of him being a cult leader, holding women hostage, and making them sex slaves. I’ll be sure to keep you updated as this story continues to develop.